By Rod Arroyo
The Soldiers and Sailors Monument is among Detroit’s oldest pieces of public art. It was one of the first monuments to honor Civil War veterans in the United States. The bronze and granite sculpture was unveiled on April 9, 1872.
It is located in Campus Martius Park (Field of Mars), which was the point of origin of Detroit coordinate system. Eight Mile Road is eight miles directly north of Campus Martius.
Below are two historical photos from Snorpy.com. This first is Detroit circa 1900. “Campus Martius and City Hall.” Other landmarks in this panorama include the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Detroit Opera House and the Majestic Building; also note the National Hay Association sign and “moonlight tower” arc lamp. The second is Detroit circa 1907. “The Campus Martius.” Landmarks include the Detroit Opera House, Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument, Cadillac Square, Wayne County Building, Hotel Pontchartrain. More info at Snorpy.com.